My Current Availability:Looking for the right long term full time fit.I'm NOT open to technical contracts.
I am ACTIVELY looking to get out of contracting and consulting by finding the right long term FTE role.
I am OPEN for a conversation about roles in our mutual benifit, just remember anything you offer me will need to be market competitive.
I am ALWAYS open for networking, as I'm actively trying to get out of consulting and contracting.
I am NEVER interested in relocation from Seattle/Washington State, so please don't ask.
I am NEVER interested in roles outside of the Seattle/Bellevue/Redmond/Tacoma triangle in WA state, unless I can work remote at a rate above and beyond market.
Want my attention? Read the below F.A.Q. and know the details, be competitive, and reach out in ADVANCE with an offer that gets my attention in a positive way.
Availability: Frequently Asked Questions
I'm not the sort to normally promote myself, but I often get asked to interview by companies looking for somebody with my wide range of technical and leadership skills and it is not uncommon for me to get thousands of these sort of requests a week. Due to this, the following page was created so I could just copy and paste the link to recruiters who may need this data.
The contents of this page may NOT be used for used for ETA-9089, USCIS Form I-140, or Visa Petition of any kind.
- Do you have experience as an Executive?
- Yes. Both with start-ups and Fortune 50 companies with up to 115 people reporting to me.
- My preference has always been on the engineering side, where I feel I can be most effective due to my technical ability.
- Will you do free work for a 509(c)(3) charity?
- Depending on the work to be done and what the focus of your charity is, I have no problem donating my time/skills/experience to the right charitable cause.
- My biggest requirment for this sort of work is that you can get me the correct paperwork to keep my accountant and my lawyer happy.
- Contact me for a discussion.
- Can you handle our needs?
- Statistically, yes.
- Contact me directly with your expectations. I'm always open to a conversation to see how I can help.
Leadership Style F.A.Q.
- How would you best explain your leadership style?
- I use a "Eyes on, Hands off" style that maintains flexibility between different elements of servant leadership and typical PDM / Delegation while still maintaining business priorities by being results-oriented and balance sheet focused.
- What does "Eyes on, Hands off" really mean?
- It means I coach and train people, teams, and orgnaizations so that leadership is not a bottleneck on the productivity of the members of the team, in a way that allows leadership to still maintain command control over what results they get from the team, all without creating organizational problems that limit company growth or employee retention.
- What if we train our people and they grow enough to be able to leave the company?
- What if you don't improve your team's skills at all, and they decide to stay and lower the overall effectiveness of your company by being more jr. level?
- What if our organization is more Jr. because we can't retain our best people?
- I actually specialize in helping companies keep thier best people as part of larger efforts to grow teams to be more productive.
- Reach out for a discussion.
Technical Contracting F.A.Q.
- Are you interested in technical contracting roles of any kind?
- No. I'm sick of technical contracting.
- Are you SURE? We have a lot of great contracting roles we are trying to fill. What is your real price?
- I no longer accept technical contracts under $1,000,000.00 (That is one million american dollars) in value to me.
- Anybody who wants to hire me for a contract will first have to show and prove the value liquidity they need to afford this price.
- Why are you trying to get out of consulting and contracting?
- I'm sick of being a "temporary person" or "perma-temp" and I want to find a place I can invest myself in fully, that will also invest itself in me in a mutually beneficial way.
- I feel like being a contractor may have stunted my non-techncial professoional growth, and I'm sick of being a "temporary person" or "perma-temp".
- What is your minimal terms to be interested in a FTE position?
- Please contact me directly for this line of discussion.
- I'm a recruiter who works only with FTE roles.
- Great! I'm sick of contracting and staffing companies, lets talk!
- Please just be aware that I need to be allowed to ask questions about the company/role, and will interview the company myself to see if they are a good fit for me.
- I'm a recruiter who works only with short term contract roles that pay under market rates..
- मुझे भर्ती करने वालों के साथ काम करने में कोई दिलचस्पी नहीं है जो उन कंपनियों की कीमत नहीं मानते हैं जिनके साथ वे काम करते हैं।
- mujhe bhartee karane vaalon ke saath kaam karane mein koee dilachaspee nahin hai jo un kampaniyon kee keemat nahin maanate hain jinake saath ve kaam karate hain.
- Just because a job has a w2 tax status, does not mean you can call it a FTE role and get away with it.
- If the job is a W2 tax status role at a company that does staffing or managed projects, it is not a real FTE role and so I'm not interested in it.
- If it is a contract, just please be honest and call it out as one early on so I can tell you "no".
- What programming language/framework are you comfortable using?
- I can use any programming language or framework I feel like with the proper motivation, but I'm most experienced with C#/Python/C/GoLang/C++/ObjectiveC style languages in the past and I mostly work with Python and a little GoLang right now. I LOVE Python and GoLang's design interests me at a very geeky level.
- I am programming language agnostic and would rather have a toolbox than use a single language as a hammer against every problem.
- If I do not already know the language or framework, I will tell you.
- I will then go get a book on it and then spend time learning it on my own for the fun of it.
- What Mobile Development Frameworks do you have the best experience with?
- I have experience with Android (Java SDK and C+++ ABI), Apple iOS, as well as other platforms that are no longer market relevant.
- As I write this I'm focusing my energy on iOS applications in Objective C and Possibly Swift for the future (As I write this on 2/7/2017) as I want to build 'apps' for my own iDevices.
- We use MongoDB as our primary data storage device..
- Stop. No. Please. Don't. MongoDB is not ACID Compliant in any sense because its "queue-to-write" and not transaction safe, even in an eventually consistent manner.
- Anybody who tells you to use MongoDB "because its web-scale" or "because its fast" is either incompetent or malicious, probably both. Your data WILL get corrupted at high load.
- The read speed comes from its in memory storage model; And there are far better in-memory caches out there. Look up "memcache" and "redis" and then either fire the MongoDB guy or hire me to fire them for you.
- Some tools are better than others, and some should never be used at all because better options exist for EVERY possible use case. That is generally the case with MongoDB.
- When looking at jobs I actively see the use of MongoDB by a company as a red flag that gives a negative view of their leadership's technical competence, as other better options exist for EVERY possible use case that MongoDB Supports. As a result I consider its use to be a distinct sign of ignorance and incompetence.
- MongoDB is a Trap. Don't fall for it.
- Will you relocate outside of Seattle, WA, USA for any reason?
- Why are you not interested in moving from Seattle, WA at all?
- I have family obligations that keep me in Seattle, WA.
- Please don't take this personally. I wouldn't move for FB, GOOG, NFLX, AAPL, or any other other company that asked me to move, either.
- Your company is not the first that has wanted to throw 200k+/year base salary at me + Stock + Benefits to move.
- Keeping my promises to extended family and remaining a man of integrety means more to me than a few extra thousand dollars in my wallet.
- What times of day should we call you?
- Between the hours of 8am and 5pm, PST (GMT -8).
- I do not take calls from people I don't know and have on my contact list outside of the hours of 8am to 5pm, PST (GMT -8).
- This is enforced in a fully automatic way by the "Do not Disturb" feature on my iPhone.
- If I give you the OK to call "any-time", I mean it. I also expect you to be professional in your choices of time to call.
- What human languages should we use?
- English is best as that is my native language.
- I know a little Spanish, French, Russian, Italian. Icelandic, and Mandarin but I don't feel at all comfortable speaking them in professional situations.
- In a pinch I have carried on entire conversations in languages I do not know using Google translate; but I dislike doing this.
- It can lead to some uncomfortable (and often hilarious in retrospect) situations.
- In general you should use the best English skills you have when contacting me.
- Why do you get angry at recruiters who misrepresent roles or use bait and switch tactics?
- Because per http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=49.44.050 this is illegal Fraud in the state of WA.
- Why won't you hand over social media account password if we request them?
- Because per http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=49.44.200 it is illegal in the state of WA for any company to ask for this data, or to ask or attempt to otherwise know what social networks somebody is even a part of.
- Because per http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=49.60.200 access to an employee's social media opens any company in WA to other legal risks.
- If you invent something interesting to us, can we claim ownership if you worked for us?
- Per http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=49.44.140 it is illegal for an employer to expect ownership of work an employee does on their own time using their own resources.
- If you otherwise seek to purchase or license my IP, start the conversation in a friendly tone that recognizes the fact I own the IP in question, and expect to pay market rates for licensing as I'm generally not the sort of person to sell my IP outright.
- I'm a lawyer looking to talk to you about an opportunity to license your IP to my client..
- Stop. One of the rules I picked up working as an Executive at a Fortune 50 company is that "Lawyers always only Talk to Other Lawyers".
- The result of this is that I simply don't talk to lawyers that don't explicitly work for me. Period.
- In the event that a Lawyer reaches out to me for any reason, I will always refer them to my own lawyer, let them sort it out, and then add the cost of my lawyer to any invoice I send out.
- Why do you reserve the right to record all interviews as a form of personal security?
- This is fully legal per http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.73.030 section (3)
- It's sad but common as a practice in software development circles that companies often seek to activly harm the career of people that are interviewing, by either not giving constrictive feedback at all, or by activly attempting to hide it so I am forced to attempt to find a way to collect this myself..
- Recording an interview on my end allows me to deconstruct an interview and attempt to extract valuable, constructve feedback I can use to improve my skills and grow in my career.
- It also allows me to create an unbiased, third party account of events that is acccurate in case something goes wrong or I am abused as part of an interview.
- Who is your spirit animal?
- Alexander Hamilton.
- Why are you so blunt / honest / funny when you write?
- The only truly valuable thing in this world is time. Laughter comes next.
- I try to respect your time by getting to the point and giving you the facts.
- I personally dislike it when people beat around the bush or delay the truth.
- It's in my own best interest that you not waste my time by not having all the facts.