My Current Availability: Looking for the right long term fit.
I am ACTIVELY looking to get out of contracting and consulting by finding the right FTE role.
I am OPEN for a conversation about roles in our mutual benifit, just remember anything you offer me will need to be market competitive.
I am ALWAYS open for networking, as I'm actively trying to get out of consulting and contracting.
I am NEVER interested in relocation from Seattle/Washington State, so please don't ask.
I am NEVER interested in roles outside of the Seattle/Bellevue/Redmond/Tacoma triangle in WA state, unless I can work remote at a rate above and beyond market.
Want my attention? Read the below F.A.Q. and know the details, be competitive, and reach out in ADVANCE with an offer that gets my attention in a positive way.
Availability: Frequently Asked Questions
I'm not the sort to normally promote myself, but I often get asked to interview by companies looking for somebody with my wide range of technical and leadership skills and it is not uncommon for me to get thousands of these sort of requests a week. Due to this, the following page was created so I could just copy and paste the link to recruiters who may need this data.
The contents of this page may NOT be used for used for ETA-9089, USCIS Form I-140, or Visa Petition of any kind.
- Do you have experience as an Executive?
- Yes. Both with start-ups and Fortune 50 companies with up to 115 people reporting to me.
- My preference has always been on the engineering side, where I feel I can be most effective due to my technical ability.
- Will you do free work for a 509(c)(3) charity?
- Depending on the work to be done and what the focus of your charity is, I have no problem donating my time/skills/experience to the right charitable cause.
- My biggest requirment for this sort of work is that you can get me the correct paperwork to keep my accountant and my lawyer happy.
- Contact me for a discussion.
- Can you handle our needs?
- Statistically, yes.
- Contact me directly with your expectations. I'm always open to a conversation to see how I can help.
- How do you prioratize interest in roles between FTE and Cotract?
- In general I'm currently prioratizing my interest in FTE roles over contracts, but am remaining open to contracting if are they severly market competitive.
- Why are you open to contracts if you are activly trying to get out of consulting and contracting?
- I would much rather not be doing contracts of any kind, but I am currently forced by circumstance to be open to contracts so that a loved ones medical bills can be paid so that she can continue to receave treatments and live.
- Sometimes being the responsible adult means making hard sacrifices so that you can take care of the people in your life that you love.
- Why are you trying to get out of consulting and contracting?
- I'm sick of being a "temporary person" or "perma-temp" and I want to find a place I can invest myself in fully, that will also invest itself in me in a mutually beneficial way.
- What is your minimal terms to be interested in a contract position?
- If the contract is shorter term than 1 year, I'm not interested.
- If the contract requires 3 or more hours of commuting a day, I'm not interested.
- Please contact me directly for more data.
- What is your minimal terms to be interested in a FTE position?
- Please contact me directly for this line of discussion.
- I'm a recruiter who works only with FTE roles.
- Great! I'm sick of contracting and staffing companies, lets talk!
- I'm a recruiter who works only with short term contract roles that pay under market rates..
- मुझे भर्ती करने वालों के साथ काम करने में कोई दिलचस्पी नहीं है जो उन कंपनियों की कीमत नहीं मानते हैं जिनके साथ वे काम करते हैं।
- mujhe bhartee karane vaalon ke saath kaam karane mein koee dilachaspee nahin hai jo un kampaniyon kee keemat nahin maanate hain jinake saath ve kaam karate hain.
- I am not interested in any sort of TCS Contract role for any reason as I fully disagree with the racist, discriminatory way they do business at the expensive of minorities.
- I am not interested in any sort of work with CTS as a company as I have firsthand experience with them from when I was at WAG and that was enough for an entire lifetime.
- I do not work with recruiters who do "bait and switch". I'm not interested in it.
- Just because a job has a w2 tax status, does not mean you can call it a FTE role and get away with it.
- If the job is a W2 tax status role at a company that does staffing or managed projects, it is not a real FTE role and I'm not interested.
- If its a contract, just please be honest and call it out as one early on.
- I'm a recruiter. Why data do you need from me about my offered role?
- I need you to tell me who the direct end client is, and how many layers are involved.
- I need all the data I would need to track double submits and mitigate the risk of them.
- I need to know the best rate you can offer so if its below my minimal, I can tell you.
- I need to know everything you know about the role.
- What programming language/framework are you comfortable using?
- I can use any programming language or framework I feel like with the proper motivation, but I'm most experienced with C#/Python/C/GoLang/C++/ObjectiveC style languages in the past and I mostly work with Python and a little GoLang right now. I LOVE Python and GoLang's design interests me at a very geeky level.
- I am programming language agnostic and would rather have a toolbox than use a single language as a hammer against every problem.
- If I do not already know the language or framework, I will tell you.
- I will then go get a book on it and then spend time learning it on my own for the fun of it.
- What Mobile Development Frameworks do you have the best experience with?
- I have experience with Android (Java SDK and C+++ ABI), Apple iOS, as well as other platforms that are no longer market relevant.
- As I write this I'm focusing my energy on iOS applications in Objective C and Possibly Swift for the future (As I write this on 2/7/2017) as I want to build 'apps' for my own iDevices.
- We use MongoDB as our primary data storage device..
- Stop. No. Please. Don't. MongoDB is not ACID Compliant in any sense because its "queue-to-write" and not transaction safe, even in an eventually consistent manner.
- Anybody who tells you to use MongoDB "because its web-scale" or "because its fast" is either incompetent or malicious, probably both. Your data WILL get corrupted at high load.
- The read speed comes from its in memory storage model; And there are far better in-memory caches out there. Look up "memcache" and "redis" and then either fire the MongoDB guy or hire me to fire them for you.
- Some tools are better than others, and some should never be used at all because better options exist for EVERY possible use case. That is generally the case with MongoDB.
- When looking at jobs I actively see the use of MongoDB by a company as a red flag that gives a negative view of their leadership's technical competence, as other better options exist for EVERY possible use case that MongoDB Supports. As a result I consider its use to be a distinct sign of ignorance and incompetence.
- MongoDB is a Trap. Don't fall for it.
- Will you relocate outside of Seattle, WA, USA for any reason?
- Why are you not interested in moving from Seattle, WA at all?
- I have family obligations that keep me in Seattle, WA.
- Please don't take this personally. I wouldn't move for FB, GOOG, NFLX, AAPL, or any other other company that asked me to move, either.
- Your company is not the first that has wanted to throw 200k+/year base salary at me + Stock + Benefits to move.
- Keeping my promises to extended family means more.
- What times of day should we call you?
- Between the hours of 8am and 5pm, PST (GMT -8).
- I do not take calls from people I don't know and have on my contact list outside of the hours of 8am to 5pm, PST (GMT -8).
- This is enforced in a fully automatic way by the "Do not Disturb" feature on my iPhone.
- If I give you the OK to call "any-time", I mean it. I also expect you to be professional in your choices of time to call.
- What human languages should we use?
- English is best as that is my native language.
- I know a little Spanish, French, Russian, Italian. Icelandic, and Mandarin but I don't feel at all comfortable speaking them in professional situations.
- In a pinch I have carried on entire conversations in languages I do not know using Google translate; but I dislike doing this.
- It can lead to some uncomfortable (and often hilarious in retrospect) situations.
- In general you should use the best English skills you have when contacting me.
- Why do you get angry at recruiters who misrepresent roles or use bait and switch tactics?
- Because per http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=49.44.050 this is illegal in the state of WA for any company to ask for this data.
- Why won't you hand over social media account password if we request them?
- Because per http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=49.44.200 it is illegal in the state of WA for any company to ask for this data.
- If you invent something interesting to us, can we claim ownership if you worked for us?
- Per http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=49.44.140 it is illegal for an employer to expect ownership of work an employee does on their own time using their own resources.
- If you otherwise seek to purchase or license my IP, start the conversation in a friendly tone that recognizes the fact I own the IP in question, and expect to pay market rates for licensing as I'm generally not the sort of person to sell my IP outright.
- I'm a lawyer looking to talk to you about an opportunity to license your IP to my client..
- Stop. One of the rules I picked up working as an Executive at a Fortune 50 company is that "Lawyers always only Talk to Other Lawyers".
- The result of this is that I simply don't talk to lawyers that don't explicitly work for me. Period.
- In the event that a Lawyer reaches out to me for any reason, I will always refer them to my own lawyer, let them sort it out, and then add the cost of my lawyer to any invoice I send out.
- Why do you reserve the right to record all interviews as a form of personal security?
- This is fully legal per http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.73.030 section (3)
- It's sad but common as a practice in software development circles that companies often seek to activly harm the career of people that are interviewing, by either not giving constrictive feedback at all, or by activly attempting to hide it so I am forced to attempt to find a way to collect this myself..
- Recording an interview on my end allows me to deconstruct an interview and attempt to extract valuable, constructve feedback I can use to improve my skills and grow in my career.
- It also allows me to create an unbiased, third party account of events that is acccurate in case something goes wrong or I am abused as part of an interview.
- Who is your spirit animal?
- Alexander Hamilton.
- Why are you so blunt / honest / funny when you write?
- The only truly valuable thing in this world is time. Laughter comes next.
- I try to respect your time by getting to the point and giving you the facts.
- I personally dislike it when people beat around the bush or delay the truth.
- It's in my own best interest that you not waste my time by not having all the facts.